Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Somewhere Over the Rainbow.

Courage! What makes a king out of a slave? Courage! What makes the flag on the mast to wave? Courage! What makes the elephant charge his tusk in the misty mist, or the dusky dusk? What makes the muskrat guard his musk? Courage! What makes the sphinx the seventh wonder? Courage! What makes the dawn come up like thunder? Courage! - Cowardly Lion, The Wizard of Oz.



There's no can't in cantaloupe! No, wait.


A new day had begun. Much to my pleasure, my face had started to come back to its original state. Yet, it had been two entire days since I'd seen CDB, and I wasn't certain I'd ever see him again. I was only here for a week total. What if he was coming back only the following week? I decided to enjoy the main reason that I came here for: a vacation. There was still the flicker of a flame inside of me, but I just didn't want to revolve my entire trip around that. Besides, I didn't know anything about him. I was just infatuated with his looks and charm. This wasn't the foundation for love. I wasn't even looking for love! I was confused, to say the least. Yet, I needed confirmation that there was more below the surface of those beautiful eyes and those dimpled cheeks. I needed substance. I needed to know what kind of mind was inside that head.

We had our morning coffee, and I did quickly glance towards the lobby but he was still nowhere in sight. I had to let this go. Maybe last night's adventure between Shelby and muscle man was an indication that this was not the place to fall for someone. I had to accept things as they were and in the meanwhile, enjoy the music, the beauty surrounding me, for soon enough, I'd be back home stuck in my mundane routine.

We headed towards the buffet for lunch. We sat near the large glass windows, overlooking the terrace. It was way too hot to sit outside and we much preferred to be in the cool, air conditioned room. We left a few things on the table to indicate that it was reserved and as we stood up, I noticed on the other side of the glass...

CDB!!!

I sat right back down and named various saints and holy figures. Shelby shot me a perplexed glance. I sternly declared "Don't turn around! Don't move! Don't say anything! Don't breathe!" I caught my own breath, "He's....here!". She moved very slightly "Don't move please!" I said ventriloquist style, my teeth firmly clenched.

"Well, anyway, I'm going to get something to eat." she announced, got up and headed towards the buffet.

 I was frozen. I could not move. He was right across from me, wearing his black pants, white shirt, Doctor Who bow-tie, sweat trickling down his temples, which he wiped at intervals with a brown handkerchief.

He hadn't looked my way yet. I knew that if I got up and headed towards the food stations, he may possibly see me, as the doors faced directly in front and they were wide open. I was startled by a little girl with raven hair and moon shaped brown eyes, who peered at me through the window. I smiled at her and she returned the smile.

This is silly. I thought.

More after the jump...



I tentatively got up and headed towards the fruit station. Yes, I was having nothing but fruit for lunch. I could feel him stare at me, he was surely staring at me, I could feel it. I turned, slowly. He was looking the other way. I wasn't really there. I mean, physically, I was. Mentally, no. I was stumbling through a thick haze and unaware of most of what was going on. I had forgotten all the wise logic of earlier that morning.

I returned to our table with a plate piled with at least 15 centimeters of cantaloupe.

"Are you going to eat all that?" Shelby asked, frowning.

I shrugged. I didn't know how to speak for while. I nodded. I shrugged again. I started to laugh.

"Wow, I've never seen you like this before." she said between bites of chicken.

I started to eat the cantaloupe, I mean, I had to eat it, right? I placed pieces in my mouth without ever looking down, as I peered through the window. I heard Shelby say:

"Wow...okay doke..."

I think it was about me. I wasn't too sure. Raven-haired girl returned with a friend. Both stared at me as if I were a mannequin in a store display. I crossed my eyes because most of the time kids find that amusing, and it was a success. I quickly looked to their side. CDB hadn't seen me. Good. They were imitating me and bursting into fits of giggles. This was actually calming me down. I decided to go a little farther with my comical expressions and pressed my nose against the glass, while rolling my eyes. This had them laugh a lot louder and I guess he heard them, because that's when our eyes met.

My nose still pressed against the glass.

I quickly pulled away and wanted to pretend it had never happened but at this point I had two six-year-olds squishing their entire faces against the window. They wanted to keep the party going but I needed it to stop! I saw hints of a smile on his face but I looked away in shame. Meanwhile, my new friends were tapping on the window asking me for more faces. I smiled politely and went back to eating cantaloupe.

"Well..." Shelby said as we were finishing up. "I think you should at least go talk to him."

No, no, no, no, no, no! I couldn't! What would I say? What would I do? What? What? No. I couldn't. He had seen my squished nose. All hope was lost.

We started to walk and my steps got slower and slower as we approached the terrace doors. So much so, that Shelby had already left the buffet room and I was barely past the terrace. Millions of thoughts swirled inside my head, my confidence, my insecurities, all dancing madly like the performers at the cave, the previous night. My heart was pounding like a drum inside my chest. You can! You can't! I should! I shouldn't! What if? What if not? Yes, but...

"Oh what the hell!" I whispered.

I marched outside and his back was facing me. He was cleaning his tray. He turned, unhurriedly, and was slightly taken aback by my presence, although he did smile.

"So, you haven't worked in a while. I'm not enjoying my daiquiris as much anymore!" tumbled from my mouth, unexpectedly, in a slightly high-pitched tone.

What the hell kind of garbage was that?

'No...but today I work a double. I'll be at the bar later." his smile had turned into a grin. He took out that lucky handkerchief again, and wiped his glorious, shiny sweat.

"My name is Felicia, by the way. What's yours?"

DUMB! SO DUMB!

"Alejandro." he replied.

"Alejandro" I repeated, trying to not let all of my exploding emotions burst out, fireworks propelling out of my chest and a volcanic eruption shooting out of my heart.

"I'll see you at the bar, tonight?" he asked.

"Yes...maybe!"

Of course, with bells on!!!

Alejandro. The most beautiful name I had ever heard. How could I not remember? I had both Lady Gaga albums in my ipod! Pffffft! Angelo! 

As I exited the buffet room, I saw Shelby waiting for me.

"I'm nauseous." she said in a low voice.

I stopped myself from telling her about what had just happened.

"Oh no! What's wrong?"

"I don't know...I feel like shit. I think it was the chicken."

Suddenly I was glad I'd eaten a pound of cantaloupe.

"Let's go back to the room. Maybe you should lay down a bit. You'll be fine, don't worry."

We started to walk in the direction of our building, when she stopped in her tracks, suddenly.

"Shelby! Are you..." I started to say

"Oh yeah..." she interrupted me "Going....down." and plop! She passed right out, right there on the floor.

After yet another trip at the infirmary, a shot of espresso to help with Shelby's blood pressure, she was finally fine again. 

"I think this island is trying to kill us!" I joked to which she wholeheartedly agreed.

As we left the main building, it started to rain. It was rain like I'd never seen before. You know the expression, it's raining buckets? Well, it pretty much fit what was going on. There was just so much of it and it was falling down so hard! We decided to wait a bit until it calmed down but it seemed to be relentless. We decided that we'd make a run for it. Besides, we were planning on taking our showers.

We were soaked in seconds and yet, it was the most delightful feeling after the suffocatingly imposing heat. Also, I was on cloud nine for very obvious reasons. I would've started dancing and jumping for joy if it hadn't been for the fact that I didn't want to appear like a big buffoon. 


After the rain, there is light.


Shelby took a nap and I decided to take my time getting ready. Of course, I wanted to be anywhere but my room, knowing that CD...Alejandro was just steps away, but I had to maintain my composure. I didn't want to look too eager, even though I really was. 

When she finally awoke, I was sitting on the edge of my bed with a smile and look of anticipation. Hair coiffed, lips glossy, eyes shiny with makeup, cheeks rosy with blush, sparkly accessories adorning my wrist and earlobes and the scent of Miss Dior Chérie dabbed behind each ear, carefully picked skirt and top and matching high heels (that I could barely squeeze my still swollen feet inside of).

"Where are you going all dressed up?" she asked, still groggy.

"I just felt like, you know, fixing myself up for fun." I gave her my most angelic eyes.

"Uh, huh..." she looked suspicious.

Later, as we left the room, we noticed the rain had ceased. Evening was approaching but it was still bright out. The rain had cooled down the temperature by a few degrees and a pleasant breeze was blowing.

"Look!" she pointed towards the sky.

I saw the most vivid and magnificent rainbow peeking in between the palms and stretching as far as the main building. We both marveled at its beauty with "Oohs" and "Ahs".

 Tonight felt perfect.

We approached the lobby bar and butterflies started to jump inside my belly. Shelby was in the washroom and I was looking for a place to sit. I was busy looking for Ale...a table, which is why I nearly ran right smack into him, as he held (thankfully), an empty tray. 

"Oops!" was my first response.

"Hey!" he laughed "You again!"

I laughed and blushed as he walked away, and then thought,

Wait a minute, what does he mean "You again!"? Is he annoyed by me?

Well, anyway, I wasn't going to act desperate. I wasn't going to gush all over him. I was just going to have a few drinks. As I was about to sit down, he swooped right by and said "No! Not there! That's not my section!" and he pointed at tables on the other side.

I would've melted into a great pool of mushy human remains right there, but I didn't.

"Oh, okay. Thanks!" I said, softly.

There was that smile again but it wasn't a smile like the other ones I'd seen here before. There was no sense that he was flirting, at least my usually sharp radar wasn't picking up any signals. He just seemed content and friendly.

He came back several times, and this time he wasn't waiting for our drinks to be empty.

"Do you want anything else?" he asked, while looking at my very full glass.

"Er, no...I don't think so?" 

"Okay, well...if you need anything...let me know."

I WANT YOU!

"Sure, thanks."

As the night progressed, I wondered how the hell I was going to get to know this guy or anything about him except his unsweetened Daiquiris. He came often enough, but never long enough to chat. Besides, I didn't even know where to start.

"Are these yours?" he asked, pointing at the pack of Benson & Hedges on the table in front of me.

"NO!" I exclaimed, expecting to be judged. Then I saw him pull out a yellow pack of cigarettes out of his pocket.

"YES!" I corrected myself.

"I'll trade you!" he suggested.

Oh my God, sweet Mary, Jesus, the saints, the apostles, the sheep and various barn animals, the three Wise men,  Angels in Heaven... (I was raised Catholic).

I smoked probably the most offensive tasting cigarette, that night. I felt my lungs crying in pain, stretching and aching. He was taking quick puffs of my cigarette and let me know that,

"It's not the best..."

I chuckled. All of a sudden, I felt like there might be hope again. Now if only I could talk to him. There was only an hour left before the bar closed up. As it got a little quieter, he came back again but always at a distance and never looking directly in my eyes, although his body was facing me. I'd read enough body language books to know that this was a good sign.

I decided to just be direct.

"Do you like science?"

"Uh, yes. I like the psees...pseek..."

"Physics?"

"Yes! I find it interesting."

"What theories do you enjoy reading about?"

"Eh..." he wasn't stumped by my questions. He seemed to be liking this "La corda...the theory."

"String theory? The theory for everything?"

"Yes!"

"Oh. My. God." said a shocked Shelby "You found a nerd in Cuba that works in tourism. Only you Felicia, only you."

"Nerd? I know that word!" He said joyfully "N-e-r-d! I am not a nerd!" he laughed.

"Nerds are cool!" I informed him.

"Oh really?" his smiled widened.

"Do you like science-fiction movies?"

"Yes, it's my favourite!" he seemed enthused. Then he looked from side to side and said,

"I have to go clean some tables. I'll see you later, Jedi!" and he winked.

THAT'S IT!



I WAS IN LOVE.








3 comments:

  1. Great blog, I really love your posts and writing style! I want to hear more :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank-you! I took went over to have a look and see that we're in a sort of similar situation, but just separated by the Caribbean sea. ;)

      I look forward to reading your blog as well!

      Delete
    2. I also can't write properly at the moment! Haha! Sorry about that, but you catch my drift!

      Delete